HOWTO: Extend your Starlink WiFi

ProDishy

Extending your starlink wifi coverage

For most homes the starlink routers cover adequate range unless your home is a decent fortress made of hard materials or is larger than the average family home.

This presents an issue - Brilliant wifi coverage in the kitchen, lounge but maybe very little wifi coverage in the bedrooms and outdoor entertaining areas.

First we have to understand the differences of some products - that extend your wifi coverage.

Many people who fail to understand networking will just push you towards a repeater, they are not always ideal - They can sometimes repeat a mess.

The key differences between extenders, repeaters and mesh access points.

Repeater/Extender

- Not ideal, repeats noisy environments in most case and creates further RF noise - decreasing bandwidth and coverage

- Doesn't connect to starlink easy due to no WPS.

- Mostly don't have good range. - cheap, small antennas.

You want your data being routed through your mesh, rather than repeated. Repeated data = Bad, Routed data = good.

1901896302_meshvsrepeater.jpg.1b31e2cc195ee4b1789490a531f2cd24.jpg

Mesh Access Points

- Enables your device to roam between access points - Have one outside, then you can roam on wifi inside to another AP whilst you go from inside to outdoors.

- One mesh access point needs to be connected via ethernet, that then peers to the other mesh access points

- Mesh access points work by creating a " tunnel " so to speak of internet to the other mesh points - Instead of repeating it.

- Mesh access points not connected to the router just require power, most likely over PoE ( Power of Ethernet )

Examples of Mesh Access Points:

Google WiFi ( Couldn't find it on my local google store )

TPLINK Mesh WiFi Series

Ubiquiti UniFi WiFi Series - www.ubnt.com

( Amazon, Ebay links to come )

How to connect your Starlink to 3rd Party/Access points or routers.

- Starlink USB adapters coming soon - Delivery in December.

Your new WiFi AP or router will have an ethernet port, plug your starlink router or ethernet adapter into the new AP or router.

Instructions with the new WiFi AP mesh unit should detail which ethernet port to plug into if there is multiple ethernet ports.

Most mesh AP's will setup a new SSID ( WiFi Network name ) and you can configure this either via app or by logging into its default WiFi network.

Connecting new mesh AP's should occur in a similar fashion, instead they only require power as they will connect to your first AP, and mesh the wifi out so to speak.

- Point to point - Extending your internet to another building.

This video from Cross Talk Solutions details the use of a point to point wireless setup extending starlink internet to another building.

E.g

Starlink -> Starlink Router -> Ethernet port/adapter -> Ubnt PoE Adapter -> Ubnt PtP Bridge #1 -> Ubnt PtP Bridge #2 -> WiFi Access point/mesh/router with WiFi.

What is bridge #1 and #2? - The radios on either building pointing at each other creating a wireless bridge.

Notes: you need to ensure if you use another router that it does not conflict with starlinks IP range ( uncommon/rare to happen )

*** More updates coming soon

• Thanks 1

The Linksis E8450 AX3200 Gigabit Mesh WiFi Router was very easy to connect to the ethernet adapter on my gen2 unit. I have the master unit in the center of the house with the remote unit 150' away in the barn. I replaced my old Apple Airport Extreme (2) in the same locations as they would not work with Starlink.

• Like 2

We live in a rural area with acres of land. We have several outbuildings and would like to have connectivity that extends over the whole property. we have electricity in the outbuildings, but none in the space between these buildings. Is there a way to extend our coverage area, maybe a rechargeable battery operated or solar option?

8 hours ago, Yimmer said:

Pardon my ignorance, but is it possible to have the mesh router to connect to the Starlink router wirelessly? I dont have the ethernet adapter. Goal is to push wifi from our home to an outbuilding. thanks

Technically mesh routers work like this:

Router -> Ethernet -> Mesh #1 -> wireless uplink -> mesh #2 -> wireless uplink -> mesh #3.

Its not ideal to be bridging your internet via an WiFi uplink - Its only going to increase RF interference and increase latency.

Where as mesh AP's will use out of band or non used channels for uplinks.

I'd recommend getting an ethernet adapter and running an ethernet cable to the first AP that requires ethernet in your mesh setup.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ashleychandler said:

We live in a rural area with acres of land. We have several outbuildings and would like to have connectivity that extends over the whole property. we have electricity in the outbuildings, but none in the space between these buildings. Is there a way to extend our coverage area, maybe a rechargeable battery operated or solar option?

WiFi 2.4ghz, 5GHZ will only reach 600ft-800ft if using a typical phone/laptop.

You can do wireless bridges ( backhaul/PtP - point to point ) from your main house to the outbuildings or chain it.. e.g;

House with internet --> ptp #1 -> p2p 2# -> outbuilding #1 -> p2p 3# -> ptp 4# -> outbuilding #2.

Depending on your budget - You can do a number of things;

Roaming WiFi onboard 4wd vehicle large farm with PtMP UBNT, Bullet M2, UBNT AP, 24v PoE

E.g put a ubnt bullet m2, or m5 into a polaris with a decent antenna - Then rig it into an ubnt AP, then you can have wifi all around the farm.

( Works by using a PtMP AP on your main home buildings with internet that beam out 5GHZ backhaul, the ubnt bullet pulls it in, pushes it to the access point onboard. Both running 24v PoE )

• 4 weeks later...

I live in a large log home main floor, loft and walk out basement. Our router is on the main floor. Speed at first was mazing at 300 mbs but has now dropped off to 60. I get very low results in my basement office and can't support zoom calls. The floors are engineered with in floor heating so are dense with slurry holding the water lines in place. I would like to increase the range of coverage but don't want to have 2 different networks since I often move devices between floors.

Any suggestions? I do have an auxiliary ethernet outlet on the router.

• 2 months later...

I just connected my Starlink and am finding that the signal being received by the tv in the upstairs apartment is too weak to stream. I'm so non techy. Can you explain in kindergarten level English what i need to do to boost the strength of the signal? The walls are red brick covered by inches of concrete with rebar inside. Living in Mexico.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have very good range with my Starlink wireless signal with no additions.  I have used a Securifi Almond WiFi Extender with another ISP and I linked it to my Starlink router.  I live in a rural area and I can get coverage a couple of hundred feet away from my home with the extender.

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to extend my wifi coverage, my brand new Starlink router doesn't even cover a third of the house. I was hoping to use my existing TPLink extenders. In your piece on this topic you suggest: 

"Your new WiFi AP or router will have an ethernet port, plug your starlink router or ethernet adapter into the new AP or router."

I can't find any ethernet socket on my Starlink router - am I missing something?

On 9/19/2022 at 6:48 PM, catman said:

I have very good range with my Starlink wireless signal with no additions.  I have used a Securifi Almond WiFi Extender with another ISP and I linked it to my Starlink router.  I live in a rural area and I can get coverage a couple of hundred feet away from my home with the extender.

How did you link it to your Starlink router?

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
On 6/9/2022 at 1:51 AM, StarlinkLeader said:

Technically mesh routers work like this:

Router -> Ethernet -> Mesh #1 -> wireless uplink -> mesh #2 -> wireless uplink -> mesh #3.

Its not ideal to be bridging your internet via an WiFi uplink - Its only going to increase RF interference and increase latency.

Where as mesh AP's will use out of band or non used channels for uplinks.

I'd recommend getting an ethernet adapter and running an ethernet cable to the first AP that requires ethernet in your mesh setup.

I have three mesh nodes plus the main router.  I thought. I should try improving the signal strength and RX rate by following the router advice (above).  So I bought a CAT8 ethernet cable and a Starlink ethernet adapter.  Well, the ethernet link from the main router to node#1 initially resulted in a strong signal and every device in the house seemed to want to feed off that node.  But pretty soon afterwards, the network went into meltdown and rebooting, etc. did not help.  My experience tells me that Starlink mesh layout does not like ethernet from main router to first node.  It is stable when there is a wireless connection between main router and the nodes.  Distance and thick walls are a factor: they degrade the signal strength as nodes are placed.  The main router signal is not that strong and so the nodes cannot be too far away.   Maybe generation 3 will fix that?

4 hours ago, Tartandon said:

I have three mesh nodes plus the main router. 

Is your main router the Starlink Router? What about your three mesh nodes? Are they Starlink Routers or another brand of device?

So I bought a CAT8 ethernet cable and a Starlink ethernet adapter.  Well, the ethernet link from the main router to node#1.... My experience tells me that Starlink mesh layout does not like ethernet from main router to first node.

If your main router and your mesh nodes are all Starlink devices, you cannot connect the mesh nodes via cable. They ONLY work wirelessly. Are you saying that you bought two (2) Ethernet adapters -- one for each Starlink Router -- and connected them with a CAT8 cable?

It is stable when there is a wireless connection between main router and the nodes.

As it should be since this is the only supported mode of operation.

Distance and thick walls are a factor: they degrade the signal strength as nodes are placed.  

As with any wireless technology, distance and thick walls or walls with plumbing and/or lots of electrical wire will all degrade a wireless signal. 

The main router signal is not that strong and so the nodes cannot be too far away.   Maybe generation 3 will fix that?

At what distance to you consider it "too far away"? I can confirm a similar experience the signal of the Starlink Routers does not seem to be capable of reaching very far -- 30-40 feet at best in my house. Generation 3 may well fix this as it will be WiFi 6.

The three nodes are Starlink.  No other make of mesh nodes on my network.  I have two ethernet dongles (Starlink, of course).  I had tried to make an improvement by connecting the main router via Cat6 cable to a switch.  Then fed a CAT 8 cable to node#1 from the switc.h.  Chaos ensued… I removed the cable connection from the switch to node#1 and rebooted the system.  Everything settled down!  I will post a photo but basically it is a wireless setup apart from the connections from the switch..  To get through the thick wall, I placed one node about 15 feet away from the main router, and a second node directly on the other side of the thick concrete black wall in close proximity to the first.  Seemed to do the trick for that problem, but third node is further away from the main router , maybe thirty feet, and has a lower transmission rate.

IMG_1225.png

• Like 1

Hello. II just ordered my SL and I'm planning how to extend my wifi signal in a 3 floor house. I'm planning to establish a mesh net. Now:

1. Is it possible to link every satellite (after market) with a ethernet cable?

2. Is it correct to connect a switch to the ethernet adapter of our SL and from the switch lining via ethernet cable every satelite?

3. Do I set the mesh net via Starlink app or via the app of the satelites?

Thanks a lot for your time. 

Thank you 

@Franco

I am guessing that by "every satellite (after market)", you are referring to mesh points, made by someone other than Starlink.

You cannot use third-party mesh points with the Starlink Router. However, additional Starlink Routers can be setup as mesh points. They will ONLY connect wirelessly. Even with Ethernet Adapters, the Starlink Router mesh will NOT connect over a cable.

If you want to use a third-party Mesh system, you will connect the primary Mesh Router of the mesh point system to your Starlink Router using the Ethernet Adapter sold in the Starlink Store. Once the third-party router is installed, set up the mesh points per the instructions provided by the mesh system's manufacturer.

Once you have the mesh network setup and running as expected, you should put your Starlink Router into Bypass Mode using the mobile app. This will disable it's WiFi network. If you have a Standard Starlink Kit -- where the cable from the Starlink Dishy antenna plugs directly into the Starlink Router -- you will need to leave the Starlink Router in place, though you will no longer be able to access it via the mobile app. 

At this point, all of your WiFi traffic will be handle by the mesh and the Starlink kit will simply provide your Internet connection.

If I have misunderstood your question, please clarify.

Hope that helps.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...