low signal strength on 2.4

johngx

new starlink service.  Using ios app and the check wifi range feature I only get max 44% when set to 2.4ghz.  That's standing right in front of router.

result is max 91% on 5 ghz

Have tried reloading app,  using two different iphones,  and also two starlink routers.  Same results.

looking at devices/iphone I get -60 dbm, 130 mbps with 2.4

-70 dbm, 500 mbps with 5.0

does this look right?

Have you split th 5GHz and 2.4Ghz signals in to separate SSIDs?

if not, open the mobile app while connected to the Starlink WiFi. Select “Settings” and the under Networks, tap on the name of your WiFi network. On the next screen toggle the switch to split your networks. Give the 2.4GHz network a different name. 

Now, check your signal again.

HTH!

Do you have other 2.4GHz devices in the area? This could be any one of a number of things. For example...

• A 2.4GHz wireless telephone system
  • Any Bluetooth devices
  • Smart Home devices (TVs, Thermostats, Alarms, Appliances) that broadcast a WiFi network (look for an unidentified SSID)
  • A wireless printer. My HP Envy 6000 printer broadcasts an SSID for AirPrint devices.

Any or all of these can create interference that will reduce the effective signal strength of your Starlink Router's 2.4GHz signal.

HTH

• 4 weeks later...

I am having the same problem with a weak 2.4 GHz signal compared to the 6 GHz. I have no other WiFi devices in the room and have given the 2.4 GHz signal its own name. I also have two mesh routers with the same issue. 

any advice?

• 8 months later...