Mac Mail intermittent with Starlink

I have just switched to Starlink, the service is excellent.  However I am noticing an intermittent problem with the Mac email app.  I have 4 email accounts.  Sometimes some or all of them will stop sending or receiving emails for a period of time.  A hazard icon is displayed next to the mailbox (see below) and, when clicked on, shows the error message: below.  The internet service is up  so it's not an internet connectivity problem and while this error is being shown, I can access the webmail version of the mailbox (so it's not the email service provider problem).  This definitely didn't happen with my previous ISP and has only started when using Starlink.  I have seen a few posts on other forums about this but none I have seen have a resolution.  I'm hoping this forum may be able to help me.

image.png.08816fa7b7e3a798877eb7c301f4e68d.png

Connections to the server “mail.btinternet.com” on the default ports timed out.

Edited by JimB
typos

• 3 weeks later...

Most likely, this is due to an intermitted network connection failure. This is going to happen with ANY ISP, but might be a bit more regular and/or noticeable with a satellite-based service like Starlink.

On your Mac...

• Tell the email app to check again
  • Restart the email app

I'm a long-time Mac user (ca. mid-2009), but I'm not a a fan at all of the Mac email app. I've never found it usable or reliable. I use Webmail for both GMail and Proton Mail... for all kinds of reasons, but mostly because the email providers web app give me the best experience without all the local app upgrade hassles... Just saying...