Problems with TP network switch

Hello, new Starlink user, set it up yesterday. Gen3 kit. 

connected 1 desktop computer to Ethernet port no problem, connected 2nd Ethernet port to TP network switch model  TL-SG108.

when I have the network switch connected I’m not getting internet on any of the devices that are connected to the switch. Devices include a fire TV, DIRECTV receiver, TiVo receiver, A/V receiver and blue ray player.

also when I had the network switch connected the Starlink modem would keep rebooting.

currently have the desktop computer and a ooma tell connected to the 2 ports and everything works fine and Starlink modem has not rebooted since.

anything I can do to get the network switch to work? I read I should plug each cable in one at a time, I connected the switch with all cables already connected. Did not try one at a time yet.

thanks

@Hardbody,

Welcome to Starlink Forum and congratulations on your Gen3 Starlink Kit. This is one of the first questions we've had about the new hardware and Starilnk Forum is NOT Starlink Support. So, bear with us (me) here.

I have no experience with the Gen3 Kit. I'm a Gen2 customer. So, I'm running blind on that setup, but, in the end, this is about network configuration, regardless of the devices installed.

The TL-S108 is an Ethernet switch. It is not a router. You may already know the difference between the two (i.e., switch and router), but if not it's a long, technical explanation, I won't go into here. However, this is an important distinction. In the end, a switch offers no networking functionality other than adding additional ports to your Ethernet network.

Without the switch, you have two devices connected and the Starlink Router seems happy with this configuration.

With the switch, you have (at least) six devices connected to the Starlink Router (i.e., the desktop computer directly wired, and, if I count correctly, five connected to the switch).

The greater number of devices seems to be the only obvious difference. Have you tried something like this?

1. Unplug everything... Ethernet cables on both ends. Power cables. EVERYTHING. Including the Starlink Router and Antenna.
  2. Restore power to the Starlink Router and Antenna. Wait until they are able to connect to the Internet before proceeding. I suggest using the Starlink app on a mobile device connected over WiFi to verify this.
  3. Power up the desktop computer and connect it directly to the Starlink Router.
  4. Ensure that the desktop computer can access the Internet. If not, do not proceed until this device can access the Internet.
  5. Power up the TL-SG108
  6. Connect the TL-SG108 to to an Ethernet port on the Starlink Router.
  7. Unplug the desktop computer's ethernet cable from the Starlink Router and move it to a port on the TL-SG108.
  8. Ensure that the  desktop computer can access the Internet. If not, do not proceed until this device can access the Internet.
  9. If the desktop computer cannot get to the Internet through the TL-SG108, you have found the problem.
  10. If the desktop computer is connecting to the Internet through the TL-SG108, then continue this process.
  11. Move the desktop computer's Ethernet cable from the TL-SG108 back to the Starlink Router. Confirm that it can still access the Internet.
  12. One by one, plug in the additional devices to the TL-SG108. For each device:
    1. Ensure that it can connect to the Internet succesfully.
    2. If the device does not connect to the Internet successfully, unplug the device.
    3. If the device does connect to the Internets successfully, leave it plugged in.
    4. Continue to the next device.

At the end of this process. You should have one of several results.

1. No devices are able to connect to the Internet when plugged into the TL-SG108. In this case, the TL-SG108 is the problem. It may be defective or it simply may not be compatible with the Starlink Gen3 Router... for some unknown reason. It's time to replace it with another device, preferably a router.
  2. Some device but not all devices are able to connect to the Internet when plugged into the TL-SG108. This would seem to point a compatibility issue between these devices and the TL-SG108. There are lots of possibilities that require at least some basic network trouble-shooting skills. 
  3. Everything works fine (YAY!). If this is the case, then it probably goes back to the "plug one device in at a time" advice that you've read about. There's usually a reason people give this kind of advice. 😉

In the end, This trouble-shooting process may not result in any clear and useful conclusion(s). Computer networking is not a simple thing. If you have little to no experience with computer networking, I suggest that you look for a professional in your area that can come in and get you going. Best Buy is a Starlink Reseller and it's possible that their Geek Squad can provide the networking expertise on a in-home visit that would get you squared away.

Sorry I can't provide a simple, two-line answer to get you going here, but you have a potentially complex problem.

Thanks.