Antenna positioning Gen 3 Mobile

jcag

Excuse if this question has already been asked, however, I can't find it.

I have recently purchased the  Gen 3 Starlink with the standard rectangular antenna and the Mobile plan.  I, so far, have used it with my RV but plan on also using it to at my home location as well.  Like others,  I want to drop my current wired internet provider as it doesn't help me when I'm in my RV.  I wish there was a Starlink setup where a two (2) antenna configuration with one account was available.  That way I could permanently install an antenna on my RV as well as my home location and, since I would never be using both antennas at the same time, I could switch between them.

In the meantime, my plan is to flat install the antenna on the RV and run a Cat 5e or 6 from the RV to my home office.  Pain but seems only solution.

My Question is: What kind of performance will I get/lose if I mount the antenna on a level surface pointing straight up?

My less option be to pole mount it except that I need to adjust antenna every time I park the RV.  (more tasks during RV setup/take down.)

Appreciate any feedback.

As long as the antenna has a clear view of the sky, it doesn’t matter whether it’s mounted flat or slanted pointing in some direction. In fact, for a mobile installation your really want a flat mount.

Of course,  your Starlink antenna will need an unobstructed view of the sky. So, if your park your RV in a tree-covered area, Starlink might not work so well, regardless of the direction it’s pointed. Also, do you cover your RV when you are not traveling? That could be an issue, too.

Do you travel with others in your RV who will want a connection while moving?

Ultimately, your decision of how to mount your antenna for effective use both when mobile and at home requires considering a lot of factors. Be careful to think through this and make sure you accommodate them all.

in the end, You might be better off keeping your home internet service and only using Starlink when mobile. 

HTH