dear guests,

I have a question about obstructions.

recently our company installed several starlink systems in Italy.

one of the systems seems te have problems with obstructions, like trees.

with the dish facing north, we have a big gap between the trees. 

using the starlink visibillity app, we learn that we have an obstruction of about 6%.

the outage with this system is a lot, about 50% of the time, we don't recieve a signal.

my question is, why is there so much outage, there is still a visibillity of 94%.

(sorry for my english, i'm from holland)

• Like 1

Interesting query.

Without going into the depths of inner RF physics lets keep it simple.

- Whilst your starlink dish can see " signals " from 94% roughly, it may require the satellite in view of the horizon in the 5% of sky that you don't have view of.

The angle of which the signal comes into the dish is not straight, its angled ( kinda )

So whilst you think the trees won't block the majority of view, it may be blocking a 2nd connection to another sat.

I'd recommend mounting the other starlink in another location away from tree's then PtP ( point to point backhaul ) the internet back into where you need it.

PtP - Point to point. Think of two wireless units on two buildings. One building has starlink, the other doesn't. The two wireless units bridge between each other ( line of sight required ) and you can do 500mbps-gbps over the bridge.

Feel free to reach out if you have any further queries.

• 3 months later...

Marcel, no apologies for your use of English - it's perfect! 

Over the years I've had several satellite installations to my home, both for TV and internet, and each of them  pointed to a single relevant satellite from somewhere on my house because those were "stationary" satellites orbiting in synch with the intended Earth location. Technicians would struggle to find a location for a dish because my home is surrounded by trees up to 150' tall.

That sort of situation is what I expected with Starlink at first. However,  each Starlink account/location may use several satellites at varying times of day. Watch one of the Starlink dishes and see that it moves, driven by an internal motor(s) in order to maintain its best possible connection to a number of orbiters. It's a fascinating system and I am in no way an expert in the technology.

The problems arise when the portion of sky that a Starlink system expects to use is blocked (obstructed). It may be a relatively small portion as with your 6%. The app tells us how often we can expect outages because we  chose such inappropriate locations for our dish without acknowledgement of our lack of choices in the matter.

Now then: I came to this thread because Starlinkleader above used the word "Bridge" which is my search term.

Is it appropriate to extend this discussion into the use of wireless bridge products or should I start a new thread or continue my search? I'm new here and am sensitive to a site's use of protocols/etiquette standards and such.