Routers that work with Starlink

CurlyDave

The WiFi router that came with my Starlink is fairly primitive and I need a WiFi connection at the far end of my house so I need to be able to extend it somehow. Some people have had other routers work with their Starlink (my ancient and long-discontinued Apple Airport didn't) but before I invest in a new router or MESH system, I would like to know if it will work with Starlink. I already have CAT 5 ethernet cable installed at the place where I need Does anyone have success stories or recommendations?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Seems to work fine connecting my Google Mesh 1st generation. Sometimes I think it tests a little slower but even tests from minute to minute will show different speeds with the same router so it may make no difference. Bear in mind I’d never recommend any Google product because of there human rights and censorship track records.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have a NETGEAR Orbi Mash system before starlink and have plugged the dish directly into the WAN port. This method should work with most any access point/ router. Getting its routing info from the dish it seems to work fine. Installed for almost a month now. Speed run from 100-278mb down and 6-14up. This is in western Washington. It was an easy install except for the time looking for technical details on the Starlink dish its self which is not really published. My remaining task is to attempt to connect the Starlink router to one of the satellites so I can use the app and gather its operational data. Unfortunately I have not been home much to try it.Anyone have experience with this part?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The WiFi router that came with my Starlink is fairly primitive and I need a WiFi connection at the far end of my house so I need to be able to extend it somehow.

Some people have had other routers work with their Starlink (my ancient and long-discontinued Apple Airport didn't) but before I invest in a new router or MESH system, I would like to know if it will work with Starlink. I already have CAT 5 ethernet cable installed at the place where I need

Does anyone have success stories or recommendations?

Not a recommendation as such. I'm using an Asus AC1900 because I wanted a router that supports VPN client and server. While Asus also supports WRT-DD upgrades I found it didn't need to be upgrade and it works well to encrypt my entire network traffic over the internet.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone tried the Microtik routerBOARD products?   I just signed up for Starlink, and have a microtik routerBOARD hex lite 5 port for my current internet service provider (have not cut over yet).   My network at home already has a 4 node Linksys Velop MX12600 (3xAX4200) mesh network, all wired daisy-chain (except for the extender) to two Cisco business class switches (SG300-28P - with POE and a SG300-10 - both wired together with a trunk to provide two VLAN's).   My main wired network is 192.168.0.0/24 on VLAN1, whereas the VELOP mesh network is 192.168.1.0/24 on VLAN2.     I was thinking of purchasing a second microtik router and configuring it on vlan3 so I can begin my testing with the starlink router disabled (also bought the ethernet adapter with the starlink system).   Since I already have POE - was also thinking of just cutting off the cable from the main antenna and providing POE directly to the antenna/modem.   Have a camper as well, so have purchased all of the parts recommended in https://www.outsidenomad.com/how-to-power-starlink-satellite-internet-on-12-volt-dc/ so I can run the Starlink antenna directly on 12V only.   Will be an interesting setup - especially if I can get tcp port forwarding working on a VM Windows 10 box I have with Fusion.   

• 1 month later...
On 8/9/2022 at 11:47 AM, GuyG said:

I plugged my eero pro 6 into the ethernet port, works fine, no changes to my local network, no problems with anything. I've not put the starlink router in bypass mode.

I run the original eero's  and what happens to me is that once I put my Starlink into Bypass mode, the internet gets disconnected after a couple of hours.  If I don't put the Starlink into Bypass mode, it seems to work ok.  Don't like the double NAT, but what can I do.....   😞

• 1 year later...