To bypass or not bypass

DirecPC

We have had the new flat dish and Wi-Fi only router for a few days. I have several devices that require a wired connection. Currently these devices are connected to a Linksys router which connects to a DSL modem. I have ordered the ethernet adapter and should have it in a few days. Scouring the internet for hints about what to do when the ethernet adapter arrives has me a bit confused. Can I simply unplug my router from the DSL modem and plug it into the ethernet adapter and all is good? Or I have been reading that in some cases it's necessary to put the satellite router into bypass mode.  Or do I need to mothball the old router and buy a switch.  If the latter whats a good switch to get.  I think I would prefer to use my old router as the router settings for quality of service prioritization security are accessible whereas the starlink router has little or no settings that are accessible. On the other hand I understand in bypass mode my Android app that I use to check the health of the starlink connection would no longer work so that's not a desirable outcome either. Appreciate all comments and advice thank you

58 minutes ago, DirecPC said:

We have had the new flat dish and Wi-Fi only router for a few days. I have several devices that require a wired connection. Currently these devices are connected to a Linksys router which connects to a DSL modem. I have ordered the ethernet adapter and should have it in a few days. Scouring the internet for hints about what to do when the ethernet adapter arrives has me a bit confused. Can I simply unplug my router from the DSL modem and plug it into the ethernet adapter and all is good? Or I have been reading that in some cases it's necessary to put the satellite router into bypass mode.  Or do I need to mothball the old router and buy a switch.  If the latter whats a good switch to get.  I think I would prefer to use my old router as the router settings for quality of service prioritization security are accessible whereas the starlink router has little or no settings that are accessible. On the other hand I understand in bypass mode my Android app that I use to check the health of the starlink connection would no longer work so that's not a desirable outcome either. Appreciate all comments and advice thank you

Had a few other things related to this question my router is a linksys MR9600 and I have read that I can put it into "bridge mode" so  "... the router essentially acts as an Ethernet switch". which I think means the  Starlink router would not have to be put in bypass mode if  the old router is used as a switch.  There apparently some downsides though. " Priority and other advanced features" in the MR9600 wont work. "It disables many of the router’s features, such as NAT and DHCP. It can make it more difficult to configure your network. Additionally, bridge mode can reduce the security of your network since the router is no longer able to screen traffic coming from the internet."   So this brings up a couple of other questions. One,   what kind of security does the starlink router provide to screen inbound traffic?  Second I dont know about this,  but the two wired devices I would hook up are a cell phone femtocell box used to generate a cell phone signal in the house, works way better than wifi calling, even with starlinks speeds.   The other is our home security camera system which has a wired connection to the router so we can see the cameras away from home.   Anyway thanks for all comments

I have a Linksys Easymesh router that was connected to the DSL modem. I used the Starlink unit and the old DSL with WIFI at the same time. When my ethernet adapter came, I plugged the cable to it rather than the DSL modem. After a reboot all was connected fine. I ran it like that for 6 weeks or so. At some point I enabled Bypass mode. I had no problems before or after enabling Bypass.  I hope this helps.

Thanks for  the reply, that is encouraging.    I have been collecting alot of information on this subject, and it seems like plugging one routers wan port into the  ethernet connection of the upstream router  may work but there are can be  some issues.  Both routers are providing Network Address Translation configured like that.    According to one article I read,  possible issues with double NAT are there might be issues with VPN service,   some websites using SSL,  if you are doing any port forwarding or triggering, and possibly issues with online games. Not terribly familiar with the latter myself but this could be a problem I read for accessing  security camera feeds, which, is one of the wired devices i need to connect to starlink.   Improved remote access to security camera feeds with our very limited DSL connection (about 0.5 mbs up) is one of our reasons for getting starlink

Solutions are either a) put the starlink router into bypass mode (and lose the app access to some of its features) or configure the router downstream of the starlink router to act lke an access point instead of a router (and lose some of its security features).

With respect to that,  I was wondering how secure the starlink router is.  I have been playing around with testmyports and ShieldsUp  to check it for vulnerabilties and so far the only concern I have is google is the DNS server.  Dont like the idea of having every single web call logged and tracked.

Anyway, I will fire up it with the old router plugged into the new and see what works and does not.  I am wondering if there is a way to access the  starlink router apps feature even when it is bypass mode.

Ok, got the ethernet adaptor  and connected it to the WAN port of the router --  this did not work well. Some devices connected to the internet, others  like the hardwired security camerias lost all connectivity.  

Decided against  putting Starlink into bypass mode so I put the router into bridge mode, and all is good.   We have over 20 devices ,  18 wireless and two hardwired, that are things like the ring camera,   the ROKU,  some of the lights are turned on by  voice command,  and the friggin vacuum cleaner and the refrigerator talk to the internet, why they have to I have no idea, and all worked fine without having to reset or reconnect any of them. 

• 3 months later...

I've been using my Eero Pro 6 into the starlink router without bypass for several months now and it's performed fine. With the upcoming data cap, should I bypass the Starlink router to save some use, or does it matter?  I've not connected anything to the starlink router-hosted wifi....

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2022 at 11:47 PM, GuyG said:

I've been using my Eero Pro 6 into the starlink router without bypass for several months now and it's performed fine. With the upcoming data cap, should I bypass the Starlink router to save some use, or does it matter?  I've not connected anything to the starlink router-hosted wifi....

Bypassing the router won’t help at all with data caps. Data caps are based on the amount of data that passes through the antenna to the satellites. It doesn’t matter whether the traffic originates from a device connected to the Starlink router or one connected to your Eero Pro 6 router…

• Like 1