Distance From Address

ESD

Hi there,

I am thinking of installing a dish 2-3 miles down the road from the address I am signing up under. It is a rural area.

Is there a maximum distance within which you can set up from your service address before the app tells you you’re outside? If so how far?

Thanks for this helpful forum!

@ESD,

Some have reported that being just a few feet off of Starlink's assumed location for your address is enough to shut down service. I'd be dollars to donuts that 2-3 miles away is more than a little too far... 

If you already have your Starlink kit, take it to that location alone with a phone or laptop and see if you can get it to work. Maybe you'll get lucky...

On 5/2/2023 at 3:13 PM, RIcochet said:

@ESD,

Some have reported that being just a few feet off of Starlink's assumed location for your address is enough to shut down service. I'd be dollars to donuts that 2-3 miles away is more than a little too far... 

If you already have your Starlink kit, take it to that location alone with a phone or laptop and see if you can get it to work. Maybe you'll get lucky...

Thank you so much for your response.

One follow up question pls: is the address linked to the service the one you first enter when you search for service and click Order? Or is it the shipping address that you enter on the subsequent page?

Because if it’s the former, I can enter a pin for the precise location address and I’ll be fine.

Thank you!

Thank you so much!

One further question please: I am concerned about my dish getting stolen. What measures can I take to secure the dish?

Is there a theft-proof way to lock it into place?

is it possible to build a cage around the dish without disrupting the signal?

To my knowledge, there is no theft-proof way to lock Dishy into place.

You will have to find a way to secure Dishy without modifying Dishy or the cable. If you put a cage around it, you will need to construct it of a material that does not interfere with radio transmissions or you will be sorely disappointed.

Is there a building where Dishy could be mounted on the roof? Is there a pole of any kind where DIshy could be mounted?