Trouble with connecting multiple devices

So I recently got Starlink business, and it's amazing for a single device.  But one thing I've noticed is that connecting multiple devices to a switch/splitter has been problematic, more so than connecting multiple devices with other satellite internet services.  When two devices are connected, for example, the second device is no longer able to access certain websites, like internet speed tests or videoconferencing sites.  Any thoughts there?  This is using a tp-link switch.  Again, this never happened with other internet services. Are there particular switches that are known to work with Starlink?

@Matt,

The difference between your TP-Link switch and my Sophos router may have something to do with how IP addressing is handled. A switch allows each device to connect directly to Starlink -- requiring two IP Addresses -- and a router appears as a single device -- requiring only a single IP Address. I do not believe that the Ethernet Adapter is intended to allow multiple devices to connect directly to Starlink's network. So, with a switch, the first device that is powered may be the only one with unrestricted access.

I guess I'm a bit baffled because like I say I've been using simple switches for a long time to connect multiple devices to a single internet connection--wired or satellite.  My work laptop, my personal tablet, a smart TV, my son's computer, etc. I feel like this is a very standard use case.  Each one would get it's own 192.168 local IP address on a connection-specific VPN, I believe.  I have Starlink's ethernet adapter on it's way, maybe that will help things when I connect through that.  I also have not tried to do this using the wireless router, since I couldn't initially get that to work.  Does Starlink favor wireless connections somehow?

I don't think Starlink favors wired or wireless connections. The Starlink Router only supports wireless connections without the Ethernet Adapter.

For Starlink Business, the Ethernet Adapter won't add any capabilities except that you can use the Starlink Router's WiFi network for wireless while simultaneously using one (or more?) wired device(s). 

Starlink Business is designed to connect directly to some type of router... that can be the Starlink Router (using the included cable with custom connectors on both ends) or a third-party router (using the included cable with an RJ-45 connector on one end). 

The key here, I believe, is that Starlink seems to expect that a router is connected to the dish...

• Like 1

Yes @RicochetStarlinkI think you are exactly right, I tried again with the wireless router and it worked, I am now connecting multiple devices with no problem.  I think the issue before was that I was connecting a switch directly to the modem with no router.  It's not surprising I guess that, essentially, signals did not get routed correctly when I connected multiple devices in this case.  Looks like there is a whole forum dedicated to 3rd-party wired routers so I will check that out but in the meantime if anyone from Starlink reads this... yo just offer a wired router!  Some devices need a wired connection.

• Thanks 1