Best option for Starlink extend to shed

snapr1

I'm converting a shed that is ~125ft from our main house into an office. 

*We will be digging a path and running power underneath anyway, so running cable isn't an extra cost for us here. 

Few Qs:

1. Is PtP, underground Ethernet, or underground Fiber best in this scenario?

2. It sounds like I'll need to get the starlink Ethernet adapter to use for the underground cable, is that correct?

3. Does it need to be a separate router in the shed, or just an AP plugged into the ethernet adapter?

Any tips from someone who has done something similar would be very appreciated!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, snapr1 said:

I'm converting a shed that is ~125ft from our main house into an office. 

*We will be digging a path and running power underneath anyway, so running cable isn't an extra cost for us here. 

Few Qs:

1. Is PtP, underground Ethernet, or underground Fiber best in this scenario?

2. It sounds like I'll need to get the starlink Ethernet adapter to use for the underground cable, is that correct?

3. Does it need to be a separate router in the shed, or just an AP plugged into the ethernet adapter?

Any tips from someone who has done something similar would be very appreciated!

1. The Ethernet Adapter is (reportedly) a 1Gbit Ethernet port. Cat 5E or Cat6 Ethernet cable should be fine.
  2. Yes, this is correct.
  3. A Wireless Access Point (WAP) should work, but it will need a different SSID (WiFi network name) than your main Starlink router. I would recommend one of Ubiquiti's AP "disks" (see https://ui.com/). Installing a router in the shed will introduce a layer of overhead that is likely unnecessary.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Glad I found this forum. its actually what I was looking for. I too have a shed that I have converted as an office. I would like to as additional question if that is ok. Forgive me as I am not very technical and I ma doing a walkthrough as what I think i should do. but need validation from the group.

What I have:

•Starlink ethernet Adaptor

•Tenda AC2100 Smart WiFi Router AC19 (is this router ok to use with Starlink?)

•Residential Data Plan (possible going to upgrade to priority)

Possible Setup

• Starlink Modem/Router will be placed in the closet (Image 2)

This will be config to Bypass Mode)

• Attach the Starlink Ethernet Adaptor to the Starlink modem

• Plug the patch cable from the closet to the Starlink Ethernet Adaptor (Image 2)

• The Tenda AC2100 Smart WiFi Router AC19 will be placed on the other side of the house and plugged to the ethernet (Image 1)

• The Tenda will now be the primary wireless router.

Challenges

• How do I add internet connections to the other location of the house? Will adding a network switch to the closet fix that issue? (Image 2)

• What do you recommend in getting internet connection to the workshop? (image 3)

• Can I setup another wifi router on the same network with different SSID to the location for guest or customers to use the WIFI connection? (image 3)

please see attached for more visual.

thank you for your  time.

Image1.PNG

Tenda AC2100 Smart WiFi Router AC19 (is this router ok to use with Starlink?)

With the Starlink Ethernet Adapter, you should be able to use any WiFi Router that you'd like. So, teh Tenda AC2100 should be no exception.

How do I add internet connections to the other location of the house? Will adding a network switch to the closet fix that issue? (Image 2)

With the Starlink Router in bypass mode, you cannot connect a switch directly to the Starlink Ethernet Adapter port. You connect your Tenda AC2100 to the Starlink Router's Ethernet Adapter port and then connect your switch to the Tenda. While I am not familiar with the Tenda AC2100, the Tenda AC2100 spec sheet shows that it has 3 LAN ethernet ports. You would connect your switch to one of these ports and then connect cables to the other rooms.

While I agree that wired Ethernet can be preferable in certain situations, most devices support wireless connections these days. Why go to all this trouble for wired connections? Just connect your devices wirelessly -- MUCH less hassle there.

What do you recommend in getting internet connection to the workshop? (image 3)

(NOTE: I'm assuming here that "workshop" = "shed"...)

Surely that Tenda AC2100 is capable of reaching 30-40 feet to the shed. Just connect wirelessly from the shed. However, if a wired connection is necessary, you're back to installing an Ethernet switch and the cabling hassles mentioned above.

13 hours ago, RacerX said:

Can I setup another wifi router on the same network with different SSID to the location for guest or customers to use the WIFI connection? (image 3)

please see attached for more visual.

Absolutely. The question becomes how to connect this second WiFi router to the network. If it needs a hard-wired Ethernet connection, you're back to the switch behind the Tenda and the cabling hassles mentioned above.

13 hours ago, RacerX said:

Forgive me as I am not very technical and I ma doing a walkthrough as what I think i should do. but need validation from the group

There are a lot of things that you could do here. Choosing the right solution might be easier and the outcome more successful if you engaged someone locally who does home network setups. Of course, you need to choose the contractor carefully. You don't want to hire someone who knows less than you and makes a mess of things.

HTH