Loving my Starlink

I have a home in rural Northeast Georgia, Clarkesville.  I’ve had Starlink for about two months.  When I first installed the dish, I put it on my lower roof - over the main floor.  Because I live in a heavily wooded area, that location actually had way too many obstructions.  At the times when it wasn’t obstructed, I was extremely pleased with the service.  Unfortunately, the number of times the signal was obstructed was not manageable.  So I purchased a 25 telescopic pole that I had a gentleman install on the bird box of my A-frame roof.  Although the app still shows some obstructions - mostly to the west because of some high trees - and that i should expect interruptions every 2 minutes, I’m happy to report that in a 12 hour period, my average number of minutes of obstruction has been abou 4 minutes.  Totally manageable and also, I never even notice it when the signal is obstructed.  Prior to the extension pole, it was very frequent.  

The only internet provider I had access to was Windstream by Kinetic.  Their average mbps was probably 3 or 4 at most.  I’ve had times where my Speedtest shows over 100 mbps.  I am able to stream tv without any issues, and now working from home has also become a reality. Prior to the extension pole, my video calls (Teams & Zoom) would disconnect constantly.

Although I’m extremely satisifed with the service, I may have those tree branches trimmed off.

Had it not been for Starlink, it was nearly impossible to hold online meetings.  Now it is amazing!  I love my Starlink and would recommend it to anyone who lives in a rural area with few options.  The cost per month is about $20 more than may very slow Windstream, but worth every penny.

If you’re having issues, don’t give up.  Find a good spot and you will be amazed at the difference.

Thanks Elon Musk, SpaceX, and Starlink.  You have literally changed my life.  I live in Miami Beach but spend a lot of time here.  Having been used to fast internet  in Miami Beach, it is truly amazing to have such a great service.

Thanks,

Adolfo

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just received my Starlink hardware setup.  It installed quite easily. All I can say is I am thoroughly-impressed with Starlink.  I work in tech and the hardware quality of all of the components is of very high quality, down to the cable with its silicone jacket.  I live in a rural area in the Sierra Footlhlls of California and until Starlink, I have never had "real internet".  I had two ISPs (one for backup).  One was 3 megabits/second.  The other (HughesNet) is about 25 megabits/second with a 10 GB monthly data cap.  With Starlink, I sometimes get close to or over 100 megabits/second  with a latency in the mid 20 msec range.

I LOVE the Starlink service.  It works flawlessly.

Barry

• Like 1

On 9/19/2022 at 11:42 AM, catman said:

I just received my Starlink hardware setup.  It installed quite easily. All I can say is I am thoroughly-impressed with Starlink.  I work in tech and the hardware quality of all of the components is of very high quality, down to the cable with its silicone jacket.  I live in a rural area in the Sierra Footlhlls of California and until Starlink, I have never had "real internet".  I had two ISPs (one for backup).  One was 3 megabits/second.  The other (HughesNet) is about 25 megabits/second with a 10 GB monthly data cap.  With Starlink, I sometimes get close to or over 100 megabits/second  with a latency in the mid 20 msec range.

I LOVE the Starlink service.  It works flawlessly.

Barry

This is great news, @catman! My old WISP wasn't as bad as your old situation, but it didn't work for me. I switched to Starlink in May. I've had some ups and downs since then, but in the last couple of weeks, my experience has been very similar to what you describe. I was downloading a large file yesterday and noticed I was getting 185Mbps! Sweet!

• Like 1