Clarkesville GA - frequent downtime today -

Although I'm not at my home in Clarkesville right now, I frequently check my connectivity remotely - I've received multiple emails from my alarm system stating that there has been a lost of connection to the internet and has reverted to using cellular service for reporting alarm notifications...I've never seen this come up, maybe once a few weeks ago, but it's happened several times today.  I'm guessing there are some network/sattelite/congestion issues.  Wondering if you had any insight as to why this has happened several times today (Tuesday).

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

@Adolfo,

I have a (string of) day(s) like this once or twice a month. Using `https://starlink.sx/` to watch the satellite traffic over my dishy during downloads of large files (e.g., macOS updates of 3GB), it appears to me that some satellites just perform better than others. Why? I couldn't begin to tell you. However, I can tell you that I can watch the speed changes each time I (allegedly) connect to a different satellite. Some satellites provide good performance (50Mpbs+). Others are abysmal (<1Mbps). I think Starlink still has some serious issues to work out... issues that are aggravated by the fact that they appear to be oversubscribing their capacity. To make matters worse, I have been told by one of their support engineers that the support team is under-staffed and unable to respond to customers in a timely fashion... but they are "working on improving".

Long story short, Starlink is a startup company using new and developing technology to deliver Internet service to folks like you and me. A growing startup company ALWAYS struggles to have enough resources to meet customers demands. New and developing technologies ALWAYS have unforeseen issues that arise and must be worked out.

So, we are all part of this grand, multi-billion-dollar experiment called Starlink. Yeah, Starlink wants to provide affordable, global Internet service to people who don't have other options... but the REAL reason for Starlink is so all those SpaceX rockets can communicate during orbital missions... or, at least, that's the way it seems to me.

Now, these are the musings of a grey-haired technologist who has little patience for long product-development and product-stabilization processes. Yet, I'd rather talk to a real person on the phone than chat or email with an anonymous someone (a digital bot, maybe?).  So, in short, YMMV.