Limited access on RV starlink

So i'm an indonesian, with an australian RV starlink, here in the remote Papua mountains. My starlink arrived 1 week ago, functional, with acceptable speeds, but it can't access 99% of indonesian sites and services, and around 50% of sites and services in global internet. For example i can access the entirety of Google's and Facebook's sites, but not Twitter, reddit, tiktok, and many others. Does anyone know why? and any solution?

@omeSz,

Some governments limit their citizen's access to certain Internet sites. The specific sites are determined by the governmental authorities in your country. Starlink is likely required by law to honor those restrictions. My guess is that Starlink has given you an IP address that is not in Indonesia, something over which you have no control.

Now, that being said, it is possible to know where Internet sites think you are located. If you browse to https://ipinfo.io/, you will be see information regarding  your Starlink-assigned, external IP address including your actual IP address and where that IP is officially located. The official location may surprise you... it may or may not be in Indonesia... or Australia. It depends on the location of the ground station to which the Starlink network has connected you.

Before you ask, I'll tell you that it is not possible to control which satellite or which ground station your Starlink connection will use. Asking Starlink Support to "adjust" either of these will result in a polite denial. The network is dynamic and the selection of both satellites and ground stations is totally up to Starlink. Trust me, I have had this conversation with Starlink support... twice... You'll get an explanation that their network is "dynamic" and that they cannot "pin" you to a specific location.

As to how to fix this? You might try using a VPN that allows you to connect to a VPN server in the country of your choice. However, good VPN's are not free. There is a link at the top of this site to a Starlink-compatible VPN that is advertising an 87% off sale for a limited time. Perhaps they could help you.

Sorry I can't provide a hard answer to your question or a solution to your problem. Your question, ultimately, is one that you should pose to Starlink Support in a ticket opened through the Starlink mobile app or the Starlink support web site (http://support.starlink.com/).

Hope that helps...

1 hour ago, RIcochet said:

@omeSz,

Some governments limit their citizen's access to certain Internet sites. The specific sites are determined by the governmental authorities in your country. Starlink is likely required by law to honor those restrictions. My guess is that Starlink has given you an IP address that is not in Indonesia, something over which you have no control.

Now, that being said, it is possible to know where Internet sites think you are located. If you browse to https://ipinfo.io/, you will be see information regarding  your Starlink-assigned, external IP address including your actual IP address and where that IP is officially located. The official location may surprise you... it may or may not be in Indonesia... or Australia. It depends on the location of the ground station to which the Starlink network has connected you.

Before you ask, I'll tell you that it is not possible to control which satellite or which ground station your Starlink connection will use. Asking Starlink Support to "adjust" either of these will result in a polite denial. The network is dynamic and the selection of both satellites and ground stations is totally up to Starlink. Trust me, I have had this conversation with Starlink support... twice... You'll get an explanation that their network is "dynamic" and that they cannot "pin" you to a specific location.

As to how to fix this? You might try using a VPN that allows you to connect to a VPN server in the country of your choice. However, good VPN's are not free. There is a link at the top of this site to a Starlink-compatible VPN that is advertising an 87% off sale for a limited time. Perhaps they could help you.

Sorry I can't provide a hard answer to your question or a solution to your problem. Your question, ultimately, is one that you should pose to Starlink Support in a ticket opened through the Starlink mobile app or the Starlink support web site (http://support.starlink.com/).

Hope that helps...

Yes, it helps, thank you for your explanation. i will also add that there are other restrictions too.
Namely, i can't use PC with the starlink. my laptop, connecting through wifi, can't access anything even though my phone can access the things i mentioned above. 
Also, if i tried to create a hotspot with my phone, or use a VPN from it, i immediately lose access. Don't know if that's normal with starlink. 
And hilariously, i also can't access starlink's site itself. therefore, i can't login in the starlink app in my phone, and can't change the wifi name and password. And the app says Starlink is offline, even though i'm doing youtube and having 77Mbps speed test result in the phone.

i have already asked support, but i am still waiting for their reply (it has been 4 days).

in the meantime i will try the starlink-compatible VPN. 

A bit of background about indonesia:
Despite being not yet available in starlink availability map, the government announced they will exclusively partner with starlink by having starlink in their "backhaul" network, but there WILL be no starlink retail service in indonesia. This came in June 2022.
However, around October 2022, the government telecom company announced they SELL starlink units with:
USD 1600 installation price, and a monstrous monthly price of USD 2000-USD 16000 according to how much speed you want (max at 100 Mbps down), and as a corporate-only product. 

So they basically monopolized starlink and resell it with 100X its monthly price. 

Edited by omeSz
typo

11 hours ago, RIcochet said:

@omeSz,

If you cannot login, you cannot open a support ticket. Send and email message to starlinkresolutions@spacex.com explaining your situation. Someone should respond, though I can't say how long it will take.

So, some update,
As of today, day 6 of sending out support ticket, out of the blue, all my troubles are gone.

with 1 catch; i got lower speed and more latency.

i found that my domain (or whatever it's called) has been moved to Tokyo. 
Previously, it's Jakarta.

So i assume they probably moved the domain serving my starlink unit. 
Similar with what this guy did.
I'm not 100% sure, i'm not an IT guy.

and despite this development, they still haven't respond to my support ticket and it's still open. I hope this lasts. Or even gets better. #BetterThanNothing

• Thanks 1