Slow Speeds, App says Downloading Update

You will likely experience slower speeds during "Prime Time" which is the evening hours in most regions. Why? Because everybody in the world sits down after work to stream video from their favorite streaming service(s) and it just hammers the networks of most ISPs.

As for downloading updates, those can take a while. It appears that Starlink treats these downloads as non-priority traffic most of the time. So, when the prime time flood of streaming traffic starts, there's not much left over for non-priority traffic.

Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RicochetStarlink said:

You will likely experience slower speeds during "Prime Time" which is the evening hours in most regions. Why? Because everybody in the world sits down after work to stream video from their favorite streaming service(s) and it just hammers the networks of most ISPs.

As for downloading updates, those can take a while. It appears that Starlink treats these downloads as non-priority traffic most of the time. So, when the prime time flood of streaming traffic starts, there's not much left over for non-priority traffic.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info. I let it alone and the app no longer shows downloading an update. Speeds are back to normal this evening. I found it odd because, from what I've read, most updates occur in the wee hours of the morning, yet this popped up 6pm. But all is going normal now. Thanks again.

• Like 1