Access Point Speed Low

Hi all I've just recently setup Starlink at home and I have to say after 6 years of searching for a broadband solution that gave me decent speeds (more than 6 down & 0.5 up 😬) I have to say so far Starlink has been flawless.

I have a garden office where the Starlink router is located and my home network is all hardwired with Cat5e cables. 

I've recently connected an RJ45 adaptor to the router and connected that to a switch in my office (Netgear GS30AP) which subsequently is connected to another switch (another Netgear GS30AP) in the house with that switch connecting the various rooms and devices in each room. When I check the speeds to these devices I get great results so I know the hardwired part of the network is working fine.

I also have an access point in my lounge (DreyTek Vigor AP810) connected to the house switch via a POE port. However when I test the speeds on devices connected via wifi to the access point the speeds are significantly reduced and I'm lost as to why?

I've had the AP810 for a number of years so I'm wondering is it simply a case that it is too old so I am considering buying a Mesh system but as this is fairly expensive  I'm wondering if there is anyway I can sort out the issue with the AP speeds or should I just bite the bullet? 

If anyone could offer any advice or solutions I'd be really grateful 

Thanks in advance 

Paul

The Netgear GS30AP is a switch, not a router, correct?

Long story short, several people -- myself included -- have been very disappointed with the performance of the Starlink Ethernet Port. I gave up trying to hardwire devices to the Starlink router and just went WiFI (directly to the Starlink router) for everything. The transfer speeds were significantly higher going wireless.

I've heard reports of others having the same experience using a 3rd-party router with the Starlink WiFi disabled.

If you need more wireless range, you can purchase one or more additional Starlink routers. When you plug them in, they will form a wireless mesh back to the main router. Then you can just wirelessly connect everything on the Starlink WiFi network.

Long story short, I'm not sure the Starlink WifI and another WiFi router will get along well in the same space.

Hi Yep the Netgear GS30AP is indeed a switch. I have to say I’ve got no speed problems with the RJ45 adaptor which is connected to a 8 port switch in my garden office and the switch is in turn connected to another switch in the main house. Any devices connected to either of the switches get good stable speeds and are all roughly the same.

The trouble I have with using just WiFi is the signal is not strong enough to reach the house hence using the switches but I do need to use WiFi in the house for things like phones / iPad etc so I just connected my POE access point which works but the speeds are drastically reduced in comparison to the hard wired devices.

My feeling is the access point  may be too old to handle high speeds so I’ve invested in a new mesh node and when it arrives hopefully that will resolve my issue 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pacman52 said:

Hi Yep the Netgear GS30AP is indeed a switch. I have to say I’ve got no speed problems with the RJ45 adaptor which is connected to a 8 port switch in my garden office and the switch is in turn connected to another switch in the main house. Any devices connected to either of the switches get good stable speeds and are all roughly the same.

The trouble I have with using just WiFi is the signal is not strong enough to reach the house hence using the switches but I do need to use WiFi in the house for things like phones / iPad etc so I just connected my POE access point which works but the speeds are drastically reduced in comparison to the hard wired devices.

My feeling is the access point  may be too old to handle high speeds so I’ve invested in a new mesh node and when it arrives hopefully that will resolve my issue 👍

Based on this explanation, @Pacman52, I would agree that it sounds like the access point may be the problem. Ubiquiti makes solid POE Access Points at a good price -- for example, the Ubiquiti U6 Plus.